Many people suffer from tightness in the chest and difficulties in breathing. These are often a result or indication of other diseases. Read on to find out the causes, symptoms, and best home remedies for getting rid of tightness in chest:
More on Angina – This is a kind of pain that comes from the heart. Like every other muscle in the body, the heart (the coronary muscle) needs a good amount of blood supply. When the coronary arteries get narrowed, it reduces the blood supply to the heart muscles which results in pain. The chest pain that is caused due to this particular condition at times feels like an ache (or tightness and discomfort) spread all across the front side of your chest region as and when you are under some kind of physical exertion. Angina pain often automatically eases up when you rest for a while. It is also important to note that this kind of pain can also be felt in your arms, neck, jaw, or your stomach.
Chest Tightness Causes:
- Stress – The biggest and most common cause for tightness in the chest region.
- Gastro-esophagus reflux disease
- Acid reflux
- Strained Chestwall Muscle
- Peptic Ulcer
- Heart Disease
- High Blood Pressure
- Sharp, dull, or moderate but constant pain in the chest area, or in breasts, or in the rib cage, or into the side of the abdomen.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- A tight, squeezing sensation in the chest area.
- Burning in throat and chest.
- The chest tightness may precede or follow or occur simultaneously with anxiety sensations and/or symptoms.
- Chest tightness may precede or follow or occur simultaneously with sensations of fear, nervousness, and elevated stress.
- Difficulty in swallowing food.
- Loud noise while breathing.
Home Remedies for getting rid of tightness in chest:
1. Garlic for chest pain – Garlic is considered to be one of the most effective home remedies for getting rid of tightness in chest. Regular consumption of raw garlic helps reduce the cholesterol levels in your body and reduces the chances of cardiovascular diseases by increasing blood flow to the heart. Follow the given steps for maximum effects:
- Take ½ teaspoon of garlic juice.
- Add to one cup of hot boiling water.
- Consume daily.
- Take one glass of milk and add a couple of cloves of garlic.
- Boil the milk and drink the mixture.
- Chew the cloves slowly to reduce phlegm accumulation.
2. Ginger root for chest pain – Ginger prevents the blood vessels to get damaged due to high cholesterol levels. Ginger tea builds up blood vessels and reduces tightness in right side of the chest.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of grated ginger in boiling water.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add honey for flavor.
- Drink at least 2 times on a daily basis.
3. Holy Basil for Chest pain – Holy basil or Tulsi helps in proper functioning of the heart. It is rich in magnesium and provides a good blood flow to the heart. Follow the given steps for maximum benefits:
- Crush 10-12 Tulsi leaves and extract the juice.
- Mix with honey. Consume daily.
- Add a few leaves of holy basil and ginger to a cup of water.
- Drink the tea on a daily basis.
4. Hibiscus Tea for chest pain – Another good home remedy for getting rid of chest pain is drinking hibiscus tea. Hibiscus contains flavonoids, which are antioxidants that reduce the chances of future heart problems. Follow the given steps for maximum benefits:
- Take some hibiscus flower petals and boil them in water.
- Let this simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add honey after straining.
- Inhale the emanating steam while drinking this tea.
The strong Vitamin C that is present in hibiscus tea is best for your immune system and protects you from cough and cold.
5. Pomegranate Juice for chest pain – Pomegranate reduces cardiovascular diseases and is rich antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Follow the given steps to get maximum benefits:
- Blend in some pomegranate seeds and extract their juice.
- 0Sieve this extracted juice for flushed extract.
- Add some drops of water to this extract.
- Consume regularly, 2-3 times a day.
Drinking pomegranate juice in this manner will help relieve stress and prevent damage to the arteries. Pomegranate seeds can also be added to your regular fruit salad as a home remedy for getting rid of heaviness or pressure in the chest region.
6. Onion and Honey – Onion contains sulfur and quercetin to reduce mucus and ease chest pain. Make a paste of onion juice and 2 add spoons of honey. Consume daily.
7. Bay Leaf – Take a few bay leaves and boil in hot water. Soak for a few minutes and drink the tea. Bay leaf is a natural herb that helps reduce chest congestion.
8. Gargle with salt water to relieve chest pain and reduce phlegm and mucus in lungs.
9. Parsley – Add parsley to your food to help break up mucus in lungs and reduce the feeling of tightness.
10. Take a steamy shower – Showering with hot water helps any accumulated mucus that might be stuck in your throat and lungs to loosen up. This type of home remedy for getting rid of tightness in chest works quite similar to drinking hot water. Bathing with hot water on a regular basis will treat any congestion in your chest quite quickly.
11. Take steam for chest pain – There are other methods to consume steam to help remove any tightness in chest. Follow the given steps to get quick relief :
- Take one large bowl and put in some hot water and fill it to the brim. Add a few drops of tree tea oil to this bowl.
- You can also add any other essential oil (such as rosemary oil, peppermint oil or some eculyptus if you want to make this liquid mixture a bit stronger.
- Next, you need to place your face over this large bowl containing the liquid mixture and drape a towel over your head to trap in the steam.
- You must hold your face in this particular position over the large bowl of hot water liquid for as long as possible so that any mucus that might be present gets loosened up and you are relieved from chest congestion.
- You can also choose to follow the method involving placing a hot compress over your throat and chest region in order to get relief from tightness in chest.
- Another method is to drink warm water on regular intervals. This will help soften the phlegm and mucus and relieve you from chest congestion or tightness.
There is another method of using steam as a home remedy for getting rid of tightness in chest. Follow the given steps for maximum relief:
- Take one large ceramic bowl.
- Fill it with hot water.
- Add exactly 5 drops of eucalyptus oil and 3 drops of peppermint oil along with 2 drops of rosemary essential oil in this bowl of boiling water.
- Swirl the bowl gently for a few minutes to blend in the oils.
- Drape your head with a towel.
- Lean over to the bowl and breathe in deeply for as long as possible.
- Keep repeating the process with regular and short breaks for a few minutes.
- This method has been considered as one of the best home remedies for getting rid of chest tightness by helping to remove mucus fro throat and chest.
12. Mustard Plaster heals chest congestions and respiratory infections like bronchitis. Mix dry mustard with flour and olive oil and massage the mixture on your chest for best effects.
13. Oregano oil for chest pain – Extracted from the oregano herb by the process of steam distillation, oregano oil is known to contain some extraordinary antibacterial, antiviral as well as some anti-fungal properties, all of which are best from removing chest congestion and discomfort and help with breathing difficulties. This particular oil has the capacity to control the upper respiratory problems and thus reduces chest pain and any irritation in the lungs. Follow the given recipe for maximum effects :
- Add some drops of oregano oil in a glass of water and drink it daily.
- Add 10-12 drops of oregano oil in about 6 teaspoons of essential oils like grape seeds, jojoba, or even sweet almond oil. Take this mixture and massage on your chest region to help relieve the feeling of tightness.
- You can also mix oregano oil in a bowl of boiling water and consume as steam.
14. Fennel for chest pain – Fennel is a natural homemade remedy to remove mucus from the lungs. Have sautéed funnel or add curry powder to funnel and consume daily for maximum effects.
15. Meditation – The best way to relieve stress and thus reduce chest pains. Find a spot that is quiet and peaceful and meditate daily in order to stay healthy.
16. Almonds for chest pain – Almonds are known to be rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, and help reduce cholesterol levels in the body. The potassium, magnesium and plant sterols present in almonds also help reduce any angina problems. Follow the given steps for maximum effects in reducing tightness in chest using almonds :
- Mix one teaspoon of almond oil with one teaspoon of rosemary oil.
- Rub the mixture on your chest and massage for a few minutes to help reduce pain.
- Eating almonds every day can also help reduce any angina pain.
17. Alfalfa for chest pain – Alfalfa is rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin B, riboflavin, Vitamin D, K, and Vitamin A. The chorofphyll that is present in alfalfa leaves is best for lung-related diseases and reduces tightness in chest. Follow the given methods for best effects:
- Take 1 teaspoon of dried alfalfa and mix it in hot boiling water.
- Add honey after steeping it for 10 minutes.
- Drink twice on a daily basis.
- Extract alfalfa juice from the leaves and consume it daily for maximum benefits.