Zits, more medically known as acne, is the most common of all types of skin problems that affects millions of people. Pimples usually occur during puberty but adults may also suffer from the itchy, red bumps which leave ugly zit scars or spots. Acne can also appear on neck, back, upper arms, chest and shoulders, apart from face.
Pimples not only drop your level of self-confidence but the irritation, pain and frequent itching can make it even worse for you. Although anti-acne pills and ointments claiming overnight reduction of zits are easily available in the market, these are either too costly or completely ineffective. These medicines can often spur more breakouts too. However, here we have brought 19 reliable home remedies for getting rid of pimples quickly, simply and effectively.
The Causes of Pimples:
Here we have made a list of causes which are making your face to break out in those nasty pimples.
- Overactive Sebaceous (oil) glands due to Hormonal imbalances, especially during puberty.
- Medicines like corticosteroids or lithium which are generally prescribed for allergy, asthma, arthritis and lupus.
- Eating unhealthy food causes pimples. Poor diet that includes too much of greasy food, refined carbohydrates, meat and chocolates.
- Lack of water consumption that causes digestive issues giving rise to pimples.
- Use of oily creams or cosmetics, hair products like oil-based shampoo and conditioners.
- Frequently touching your skin with dirty, infected hands.
- Not washing off makeup before going to bed.
- Few medical conditions like PCOS, Cushing’s syndrome, Thyroid and other endocrine gland related problems.
- Deficiency of vital nutrients like vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants.
- Dead skin cells get mixed with oils and clog the pores causing zits.
- Bacterial infection and inflammation.
- Stress and anxiety also trigger oil production causing pimples.
The Symptoms of Acne:
Here’s the list of symptoms which will help you recognize whether those red bumps on your skin are acne or some other skin infection that needs your immediate attention.
- Zits can pop up in many forms like black heads, white heads, pustules, papules, cysts and nodules and each have distinct appearance and symptoms.
- Black heads and white heads cause raised skin and are black or white in colour as their names suggest.
- Sometimes a pimple can take a red, round form with a head full of pus. This is the symptom of a pustule.
- Small, red, raised bumps on the skin that often denote skin infection are called papules. These feel tender when you touch.
- A large bump on the skin which is also painful and solid, called nodules. These are caused by the excessive secretion of oil in the hair follicles.
- You may experience an increased temperature around the affected area
- The skin around the pimples becomes pink or reddish and if you pick the acne, it will leave a deep scar on the skin.
Simple Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Pimples Fast:
With easy and effective home remedies, you can simply get rid of naturally, overnight. So, here are some home treatments for you using natural ingredients.
1. Green tea for getting rid of pimples:
We know the magical benefits of green tea, whether it is for detoxification or weight loss. But studies have shown that green tea also cures acne when applied externally. Green tea is rich in an anti-oxidant called EGCG (epigallocatechin-3-gallate) which reduces the production of oil in the skin and inflammation, resulting in the reduction of acne.
Wash your face and pat it dry. Take few leaves of green tea and pour some hot water in it to get the extract. Let it cool down for 15-20 minutes. Then apply this with a cotton ball on your skin where you can see the zits. Leave it applied for 15 minutes, then wash off. You will see a considerable reduction.
2. Try Lemon Juice For A Clearer Skin Overnight:
Pimples are caused by microscopic bacteria. Citric acid in lemon will kill the organisms giving you a clearer skin. This will also function as an astringent to reduce the accumulated oil.
Squeeze a lemon and take the juice in a bowl. Use a cotton swab to apply the lemon juice on the affected areas before going to bed. If you have stubborn pimples, then add a pinch of cinnamon powder to your lemon juice. But make sure your skin isn’t sensitive. Or else you will have more eruption.
3. Tea Tree Oil For Getting Rid Of Your Zits:
Tea tree oil is a wonderful home hack to get rid of zits naturally. The antibacterial properties in tea tree oil kill the microorganisms and make skin blemish-free. It also prevents more zits from occurring.
There are two ways you can use tea tree oil for pimples:
- Put a cotton ball into tea tree oil, then apply it directly on the pimples. Allow it to stay for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off.
- Otherwise, you can simply add a few drops of tea tree oil to 1 teaspoon of fresh Aloe Vera gel and smear it on those areas where you have pimples. Now leave it for 20 mins, then wash it off with cool water.
4. Get Rid Of Acne Overnight With Baking Soda:
Baking soda, the king of home remedies, has astonishing skin benefits and curing acne overnight is one of them. All you need to do it make a paste of baking soda mixing it with few drops of water. Wash the affected area and apply the paste thickly. Then allow it to dry but do not keep it on for more than 30 minutes as it can make your skin dry. When it is dry, wash it off with water and apply an oil-free moisturizer.
5. Steam your acne away:
The heat of steam has the capacity to kill bacteria that reside in the pores and cause pimples. This is one of the easiest home remedies for getting rid of facial zits. Boil some clean water for about 15 to 20 minutes and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Cover you head with a towel and bend over the pot of steaming water. Continue this for 5 minutes or as long as you can bear with the heat.
6. Ice Cube Home Treatment for Pimples:
Ice cubes can remarkably cure acne caused by inflammation. Apply 2-3 cubes of ice on your zits and rub the lightly for few minutes. You have to do it at least 3-4 times a day to see results. Ice can also prevent the pimples from spreading.
7. Yogurt And Oatmeal Pack For Pimples:
Oatmeal is a gentle cleanser and yogurt has anti-bacterial properties that cleanse the pores killing the microorganisms. Blend plain unflavored yogurt with oatmeal until it becomes a thick paste. Apply it to the area where you have pimples and let it dry. Then wash the area with cold water. Yogurt can also add a natural glow to your skin.
8. Say “Good Bye” To Pimples With Basil Leaves:
Basil is an herb rich in anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties which can successfully kill the bacteria on your skin which causes pimples.
Take 10 basil leaves into a saucepan and press them with a spoon to get the juice out a little bit. Then pour water into the saucepan and boil the leaves for 5 minutes. Now strain the water and use a cotton ball to apply it on your acne zone. You can also store the rest of the water for 5 days in your refrigerator.
9. Home Treatment Of Acne With Papaya Extract:
Papaya is a rich source of an enzyme called papain which can reduce inflammation and prevents pus formation. It is also known eliminate excess fat and the dead skin cells that trigger pimples. To apply this, take fresh papaya and take out the seeds. Then mash the papaya to make thick paste and smear it on your face and areas where you have acne. Keep it for 30 minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
10. Get Rid Of Pimples Fast With Garlic:
Did you know, garlic can effectively kill bacteria that cause zits, redness and irritation? Well, garlic has powerful anti-bacterial properties which make it an easy home remedy for getting rid of pimples. But refrain from using undiluted garlic juice.
Extract the juice of a fresh garlic clove and add few drops of water to dilute it. Add Aloe Vera gel to the garlic water and apply it on the facial zits. Consume one clove of garlic in the morning on an empty stomach to prevent further breakouts.
11. Honey Makes Pimple Vanish Overnight:
Being a natural anti-biotic, honey destroys the pimple-causing bacteria and hydrates the skin too.
Apply some drops of honey on the pimples. Use good quality Manuka honey for best results. Allow it to remain for 60 minutes or more. After that, just rinse it away with tap water.
12. Cucumber For Overnight Acne Cure:
Loaded with vitamins and minerals like potassium, silica and Vitamin A, E and C, cucumber is just great for soothing the area where you have the breakouts. Rub few slices of cucumber on the affected area and wash off when it’s dry. Or, you can also make a paste of a cucumber and apply it wherever you have acne. Allow the cucumber to remain for 15-20 minutes until it is completely dry. Now use some lukewarm water to wash your face.
13. Toothpaste to Get Rid Of Pimples:
Toothpaste is the most easily available and effective home remedy for getting rid of acne. Use white toothpaste to make your zits disappear overnight.
Take a little toothpaste and apply it to the area affected with pimples. Leave the toothpaste overnight and rinse it off in the morning. If you are going to stay at home, keep applying toothpaste throughout the day.
14. Egg-Whites for Pimples:
Protein rich egg whites have magical effect on the ugly zits. Take one egg and separate the egg white from the yolk. Now apply this egg white on your pimples with your fingertips. Allow it to stay overnight. Rinse the egg white off with water in the morning and voila! You have an acne-free face.
15. Apple Cider Vinegar for Acne:
The alkaline nature of apple cider vinegar helps restore the pH balance of the skin and kills microbes which cause pimples.
Add 3 parts water to 1 part apple cider vinegar to prepare a diluted solution. Wash your face and apply this solution using a cotton swab. Leave it for 10 minutes and wash. Use moisturizer to prevent dry skin.
16. Aloe Vera Gel For Pretty Cheeks:
Aloe Vera can treat a number of skin problems including acne. It soothes the skin and relieves irritation. You can make Aloe Vera gel at home or use store-bought Aloe Vera gel and apply it for 15 minutes to the affected area. After that, clean the face with tepid water.
17. Tomatoes For Getting Rid Of Acne:
Tomatoes are excellent for treating acne as it is rich in anti-oxidants and other anti-bacterial properties which cleanse the open pores and kill the microorganisms. You can either rub slices of tomatoes on your face or you can also use a blender to make a tomato puree and then apply it on your skin. Let it stay for 15-20 minutes or until you feel a dryness. Once it’s dry, rinse it off with cool water.
18. Diet And Exercise – Better Lifestyle For Better Skin:
Proper diet will provide the essential nutrients to your body preventing frequent ailments which weakens your immune system making you more prone to pimples. So, include Omega 3 Fatty Acid and a lot of green leafy vegetables that will supply anti-oxidants to your blood. On the other hand, abandon foods that have too much oil and refined carbohydrate. Rather opt for complex carbohydrates like Oatmeal.
19. Blend A Little Honey With Strawberry:
Strawberries are rich in salicylic acid which helps reduce pimples. This acid is used in many of the commercial medicines that claim to clear acne. By stimulating the outer layer of the skin called epidermis, salicylic acid aides in cell rejuvenation and opens the clogged pores that cause pimples.
Start with washing your face with lukewarm water. Take 3 fresh strawberries and wash them thoroughly. Mash the strawberries into a fine paste and add two teaspoons of honey to it. Blend them well and apply to your skin. Let it set in for at least 30 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
Regular exercise can eliminate toxins from your body boosting your immune system. Reduction of excess fat from your body will also reduce your acne problems.